As we reach the last day of August 2023 and heading into the holiday weekend, we wanted recap all the exciting and innovative initiatives our team participated in over the past season.
Some key highlights include:
- We welcomed our annual summer intern from Holland College – TCC Campus: Gaby, a first year student in Culinary Arts, who will continue with CSK into her second year of studies
- We welcomed our first ever Dietetics intern from University of Prince Edward Island, Megan, a third year Bachelor of Science in Foods & Nutrition major completing her Integrated Dietetic Internship
- We supported a number of corporate chef service events, including hosting the regional Springboard Atlantic organization and team members on site with Holland College – Applied Research
- Staff members traveled to the Niagara region to participate in the national Culinary Federation conference, and supported PEI’s representative Chef Leslie Flynn in the week’s competition
- CSK participated in Holland College Staff Appreciation Day events in Summerside, the first opportunity for the total campus group to come together since 2019 for a guest speaker and lunch session
- Staff members attended the PEI International Shellfish Festival kick off press conference at Peakes Quay, highlighting the official competitors, schedule of events and sponsors for this year’s event
- We welcomed community partners to our research kitchen for collaborative discussions, including BioFoodTech, Food Island Partnership, Innovation PEI, and representatives from Foodarom
- Staff members attended an informative tour at the AAFC Research Farm Centre in Harrington, PEI
- We celebrated Food Day Canada’s 20th Anniversary with client, community and service highlights
- We welcomed the new Program Manager of The Culinary Institute of Canada, Ross Midgely, to our campus with an amazing Indian inspired buffet prepared by Chef Mike and CSK team
- Connected with our consulting partner Elspeth Copeland, on another informative team session regarding product development timelines, and the impacts of client or community challenges
These are just a dozen of the many day-to-day operation activities of Canada’s Smartest Kitchen, and we look forward to the new season ahead as we move further forward on a number of existing and new client projects – thank you for following along with us!